Hive Blockchain Buys 6,400 Bitcoin Miners From Canaan, Capacity Reaches 1,229 PH/s
Canadian bitcoin miner Hive Blockchain has bought 6,400 next generation mining machines from Canaan. The Avalonminer 1246 miners will add a combined 576 petahash per second (PH/s) to Hive’s existing hash power.
● With the addition of the new machines, Hive’s total hash rate will increase to an estimated 1,229 PH/s, well beyond the company’s original cumulative hash rate target of 1,000 PH/s for 2021.
● In a statement this week, Hive said the equipment will be delivered in eight tranches in 2021, with 500 miners delivered in May and June, and 900 miners delivered each month until year-end.
● Vancouver-based Hive said the latest purchase, which is double the 3,500 miners bought last year, “is part of our continuing strategy to increase our bitcoin mining capacity.” For the December 2020 quarter, the firm mined 140 bitcoins and over 22,000 ethereum (ETH).
● According to Canaan’s Web Store, the Avalonminer 1246 is selling for $1,450 each. The miner is the Chinese company’s most powerful range available and comes with a hash rate of 90TH/s.
● Hive operates mining facilities that run on renewable energy in Canada, Sweden and Iceland. Shares of Hive fell 15% to $2.42 Canadian dollars ($1.91) in Toronto trading on Thursday. In the past 52 weeks, the stock has swung to a high of CAD$3.50 and a low of CAD$0.12. Year-to-date, Hive is down more than 10%.
What do you think about Hive’s latest purchase of bitcoin miners? Let us know in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
Published at Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:30:19 +0000 Hive Blockchain Buys 6,400 Bitcoin Miners From Canaan, Capacity Reaches 1,229 PH/s